Saturday, January 23, 2010

I Choose Hope!

My oh my the things that have transpired since my last post. Whew! 2010 has been tough year for us so far. After writing on the Thursday, January 7th...

1/7/10
-That evening Ethan fell while twirling and got seven stitches in his forehead.
-Marc called from Las Vegas as Ethan and I were on our way to the ER and told me he could not fly for seven days because his left ear was perforated. Therefore he would not be coming home for his sister's wedding. Earlier in the week Marc had been to the med check and they had diagnosed him with and ear infection. They thought he would be okay to fly since he had start antibiotics. I had been to the doctor that same day for a throat infection.

1/8/10
-Megan and James' rehearsal for their wedding and dinner. Aaron made it down the aisle while practicing, but Ethan did not.

1/9/10
-Megan and James' wedding and reception. Everything turned out beautifully! Ethan and Aaron both made it down the aisle and walked out when introduced at the reception. Thankfully I felt better for the big day. I had felt horrible all day prior.

1/12/10
-Ethan got his stitches out.

1/14/10
-Aaron wakes up with yellow gunk crusting his left eye. He had pink eye and and ear infection in his right ear. As instructed by the allergist seven days prior to Ethan and Aaron's allergist appointment and allergy testing, I stop all allergy medicine.

1/15/10
-Marc is finally home from traveling.

1/16/10
-Marc left side of his mouth starts to feel numb and not respond when he tries to move it. By afternoon the whole left side of his face is drooping/not responding when he tries to move it.

1/17/10
-Ethan acts like he isn't feeling well before bed.

1/18/10
-Ethan has a fever when he wakes up and doesn't feel well all day. His coughing ensues.
-Marc goes to the doctor and is told he still has a severe sinus infection as well as Bell's Palsy.

1/19/10
-Ethan wakes up with a fever again. Afraid that he has an ear infection in his tube that is out and needs replaced, I take him to the pediatrician. Fortunately he just had a virus. The doctor said to give him his inhaler as needed for coughing and to bring him in if things change.

1/20/10
Lots and lots of coughing in the night. Ethan and Aaron both wake up with fevers. Aaron is just beginning the same symptoms as Ethan.

1/21/10
Ethan and Aaron both wake up with fevers again. Ethan's symptoms seem to improve with Motrin or Tylenol, but his cough isn't improving. Aaron seems to be getting worse. Since both boys have fevers we are forced to cancel their allergist appointment.

1/22/10
Ethan and Aaron wake up with fevers again. I was starting to think that Ethan might be improving other than his cough. Aaron on the other hand had a horrible day. He seemed miserable and coughed incessantly. I went back and forth about calling the doctor. I didn't want to be "that mom." The one who is always calling the doctor, always taking their kids in, and there is really nothing to be done they are just sick. Marc got home early after having gone to his doctor's appointment. Thankfuller his physical went well. He is however still dealing with the sinus infection and the horrible symptoms of Bell's Palsy. Around 4pm I decided to call and leave a message at the pediatrician's office for the nurse to see if there was anything I could do for Aaron's cough. The nurse returned my call and I described both boys' symptoms. She said she would need to speak with the doctor and would call me back. Just after 5pm she called and said that Aaron should be seen either prior to them closing at 5:30pm or in the morning. I decided we should take them in. Marc and I rushed them to the office. The pediatrician available for walk in hours listened to Aaron's lungs and heard a little wheezing in the right lung. She had the nurse take his oxygen level and it was 92, the low end of acceptable (100 is optimal). She said that he would need a breathing treatment and that she would go ahead and listen to Ethan's lungs too. At first she thought that Ethan sounded worse than Aaron. His oxygen level was 92 as well. So he got a breathing treatment as well. After Aaron's breathing treatment the nurse again took Aaron's oxygen level and it was still 92 and when she listed to his lungs they actually sounded worse. The doctor proceeded to tell us that their was another type of breathing treatment she could give him, but that if it did not work he would need to go to the hospital. Thankfully Ethan's breathing treatment helped his oxygen levels to go up to 97 right away. Aaron's second treatment worked and his levels went up. The pediatrician sent us home with a prescription for a nebulizer, an antibiotic for Ethan's ear which was not infected, and an order for a chest x-ray in case Aaron's condition did not improve over the weekend.

1/23/10
Both boys woke up fever free. Ethan seems to be doing pretty well and his condition seems to be improving. He still has a horrible cough. Aaron seemed pretty yucky this morning, but has improved throughout the day as well. His cough is still very present as well. They are getting breathing treatments every four hours.

Sometime within all of this the anxiety edged in and things began to feel heavy. Although feeling a bit overwhelmed from time to time I honestly kept my chin up, tried to focus on the positive, and keep joy and contentment. Marc's ear was perforated, but didn't burst, Marc had Bell's Palsy, but didn't have a stroke and so on. I was able to do this until about the 14th and by the 18th the blues had really set in. This past week the anxiety took over and I allowed the heaviness and grey skies to overcome me. I honestly had a really poor attitude. What I am about to share is very hard for me, but I know that others struggle with anxiety and depression as well. God wants to use bad things for good and so I will be honest with you. After a long talk with a friend, discussing it a few weeks ago with our counselor, and a great deal of thought I chose to go on an anti anxiety/anti depressant again for awhile. I started it on Monday, 1/18/10. As much as I hate that I am back on a medication, I accept it and I know that it is what is best for this season of my life. I CHOOSE HOPE! I choose focusing on my relationship with Christ, surrounding myself with God's word, spending time in prayer, and if I need an anti depressant for something that is chemical that I can not control...so be it! I also choose hope that my husband will recover fully, that in time we will have answers as to why Ethan are Aaron are sick so often, and that those answers will bring them healing. In the midst of struggles physically, emotionally, and financially I choose HOPE! Thankfully there is a God to find hope in!

No comments:

Post a Comment